Saturday, January 9, 2010

Song of Solomon

Oh to be in love again. What a rapturous feeling!

I know what you are thinking. How this guy gone mad. What will Cathy say when she sees this. And by the way whatever happened to the rest of Genesis, not to mention Exodus and quite a few other books in between.Well I told you in the beginning of Genesis 1 that some of this would be about classical music.

I am in love again and his name is Gerald Finzi. He was an Englishman who wrote classical music during the first half of the 20th century. Unfortunately he died early at about the age of 55 I think. I'm sure any classical music buff knows all about him and that's why I'm just now really discovering his music. I may love the genre but am a novice when it comes to the nuts and bolts of this field.

If you like early 20th century English classical music at all (Ralph Vaughan Williams, Edward Elgar, John Ireland and many others) please go to Amazon.com or some other on line music supplier and give Finzi a listen. If you are a succor for gorgeous romantic strings (Elgar's Enigma Variations) you will love Finzi's " Romance" and "Introit for Violin and Orchestra in F". I purchased an on line album that features his clarinet concerto, also beautiful, along with several smaller works including the two just mentioned.

I'm sure most of you know about Pandora.com, the on line radio station where you get to customize the music you want to hear. I highly recommend it to those unfamiliar with it. It can be free if you don't mind a million ad interruptions. I suggest paying them the $36 for a full year of uninterrupted music. I have several "stations" already customized (2 romantic era classical, 2 Jazz, 2 George Winston type,and an Renee Fleming Opera). If any of you want to listen to them send me your email address and I'll put you on the share list.

Next time Genesis 3. Bill

1 comment:

  1. Bill, a friend at work introduced me to Pandora but I have yet to get it up and running. Now I will. I was wondering how they got money.

    ReplyDelete