Saturday, January 30, 2010

Genesis 22

What a steak dinner this was going to be. I had the finest cut of rib eye I could get my hands on. The violin was nearby along with the charcoal chimney altar, all waiting for the imminent sacrifice. All of my frustrations would soon be lifted away; rising smoke and ashes would soon be filling my nostrils with the sweet aroma of revenge.The chopping block readied, the violin centered just so, I lifted my hand axe high over head to send that demon into splinter heaven. My right shoulder and bicep flexed firmly with delicious anticipation. I began the decent.

"Wait"!

It was a scene right out of one of Tiger Woods' playbook where he stops his driver midway on the downswing as some over anxious photographer prematurely clicks open the camera shutter. I looked all around but saw no one.

"You have shown true courage in your willingness to sacrifice that which once brought you true joy. Now bring no more harm to the work of your hands. Your faith will be rewarded. One day soon sweet music will pour out from every wood fiber of this fine instrument".

Those sure words were followed by a sudden stillness. The waif like puffs of wind ceased, the air bit even more sharply. But I didn't mind. My baby was spared and my way forward made straight. Just then I heard a faint rustling in the nearby shrubs. A small bunny peeked its head out and then made its way over to where I was standing next to the grill. It was shaking with fright, but resolute in its mission. I bent over, picked it up and held it over the charcoal chimney. Then I smiled, stroked it's tiny ears, walked over to the edge of the woods, bent back down and bid it godspeed back to it's mother.

Returning to my patio with a new sense of urgency, commitment and confidence, I picked up the daily paper, found "The Republican Response" to the State of the Union address, appropriately crumpled it up, lit the charcoal chimney and proceeded to have one of the most enjoyable dinners with my dear wife in memory.

Bill

Important footnote: A huge debt of gratitude is owed to my wife Cathy. The picture of me at the grill was taken weeks ago by her without my knowing. It was only after viewing it together that the idea for the above story took shape. To the extent that some of you might find this story of value, a little twist on something my sweet sister Jane started, then we have them to thank.

3 comments:

  1. Very funny story but aren't you afraid God doesn't have a sense of humor? I'm glad you spared the bunny (and the violin).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad all survived! I am following faithfully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always liked the story of Abraham and Issac even though no one thought it was a good story to tell to the children in Sunday School. Something about nightmares. I was once involved in planning a spiritual gathering that wasn't going very well. I felt strongly that God was telling me that I needed to take the lead but that would mean asking my boss for a day off a week with pay so I could plan this thing properly. I really didn't want to do it but finally said yes and was headed up the stairs to my boss's office to ask him for the time off when the phone rang. I went down stairs to answer the phone and it was another member of the group who said they had decided to take the lead. It was clear to me that God really didn't want me leading this, that he was just testing me to see if I would. Perhaps in preparation for things to come.
    Can't wait for your next blog.

    ReplyDelete