Thursday, January 12, 2012

One Hundred Years Ago Today

January 12th, 1912, the day my father was born, one hundred years to this day. A thousand thousand thoughts come and go in my mind, drift in - drift out. There is no one definitive image of my father. There are many. As many as I allow in. And as I dream further, more still.

It is not so much the memories that consume me, but the empty gaps. His mother who none of us, that is the grandchildren, knew; what were her thoughts one hundred years ago today? Did she hope to one day hold one of us in her arms as she was holding her infant son, dreaming what our lives would entail? She lived a mere seven years more. What were her thoughts in the last days of her influenza shortened life? Did she worry for her young son? Surely there was immense grief knowing she would not even live to see him grow into a young man. What were her thoughts one hundred years ago today? Did she dream of seeing my dad grow up and eventually marrying my mom. Did she dream of celebrating birthdays and Christmas and even our eventual marriage ceremonies?

Seven years are never enough. They were all she was given. Her first day of those seven began a hundred years ago today. What were her thoughts on that day?

There are so many gaps in the story. Who was my fathers best friend as a child growing up. Did he have a special valentine in kindergarten as I had some forty two years later? What were his thoughts as he graduated from high school, lacking family money for college and entering the work force in the beginning years of a historic economic depression? Who were his friends prior to meeting my mother during those tough '30s pre war years? On and on my thoughts wander, many many more questions than answers.

This day however, January 12th, 2012 is about remembering a fateful day a full one hundred years ago. About a mother and her newborn, her dreams for him and his life to come.

1 comment:

  1. And what about Dad's dad 100 years ago. Did he wonder how he was going to take care of an infant son when he had medical issues? What were his dreams for his son? He had a little more time than Dad's mom but not enough. I wish they could have seen what a great man and father Dad became.

    ReplyDelete